Tuesday, October 1, 2013

C(h)oke Bottle

Okay, many people know, Agnes Monica aka Agnez Mo (in her way to go international she has changed her name, or at least her stage name) has launched her first single with Timbaland.
Long before the launching, there was a youtube teaser video of her performing in a club somewhere (claimed to be in the US). Well, in the video, she is dancing but barely putting the microphone before her mouth. Is that really her singing? Or? Well, you know it.

As a used-to-be fan of her when she was a child, I am not so impressed with her mature look and ambition. I mean, she is just simply a copycat mainstream singer. When Pink was popular, she tried to be like Pink: leather jacket, pink punk hair, underground video. Then came Rihanna – she is just like Rihanna wanna be. Then came Beyonce, her concert is just Beyonce-like. Even a friend of mine joked that Beyonce got the concept of the concert from her. And then Lady Gaga, and… well, you know it. Just name any prominent US Divas, she might have copied every each of them.

Inevitable, some of her news stuck in my timeline in twitter. Well, you know, she is famous. More or less, I know what she is up to from her fans aka lovers.

Several weeks ago, she tweeted that her single was at the top of a website, which happens to be the place for illegal downloading. Fine. But, you don’t have to be proud that your hardwork is pirated, right?

At the same time, I saw a tweet about another Indonesian musician, Addie MS. His album topped the iTunes chart. He was surprised, even when he got the news from Apple itself. How about our diva-wanna-be idol? She promoted herself. Of course, with the help of her “lovers”.

So, out of symphathy, I retweeted the link, mentioning her. I wanted to say, being humble never hurts. It is better than campaigning all over the world without a concrete result. Then, here comes the interesting story.

One of her fans told me that her song is not sold in iTunes Store Indonesia, but only in the US and Australia. I couldn’t compare it to Addie MS, whose album “only” charted the Store in Indonesia (although I can also find it in the US Store). Fine. I went to the US iTunes Store, searched with some keywords (including the “alay” one like Agnez Mooohhh – ah, it reminds me of a cheese advertisement). And tadaaaaaaa……. Nothing!

I later learned that her single was released last week. And as usual, her fans are screaming that her single is charting the iTunes Store in the US. Ouw, not bad. Her dream might come true. Searching in Google, what I found were some websites written by Indonesians living in the US. Maybe one of her friends who happened to let her stay at his house.  Here is the funny part of the blog:
People here in the states may not know who she is, but Agnez Mo happens to be the most decorated pop star in Indonesia. (Feel free to go to Wikipedia and provide more info).”
Well, you count on Wikipedia to decide somebody is famous? (Go create your own page and you are famous!).

As a matter of fact, I think it is unfair if I only look for information created by “haters”. So, trying to be neutral, I went to iTunes Chart Top 100, with the hope to find her face there. At first, I was so happy that I thought I saw her face at position 3. But too bad, it was not her, it was her idol, Lady Gaga. Ah, maybe she imitated Gaga so well that I couldn’t differentiate them anymore.

So, in order to verify the news, I tweeted the link and mention her. Who knows, she might give me some insight. Then came her lover, maybe without even clicking the link, stated that the link I posted was made by haters. Hello? Tell me how this website can be a hater-made http://www.apple.com/itunes/charts/. Even if they are, they won’t even sell her single  at the first place.

Well, at least, I got what I wanted: reading her fans reactions. You know, they are bunch of fanatic fans with no…. Ah, you decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment